Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What does it take

I just had an interview for a position that I believe can draw on my business training knowledge and experience. The interview entailed three rounds of discussions with trainers, manager, and division manager. It was a great interview and very insightful.

The interview process was more of a conversation than an actual "answer our questions" interview. Interesting and delightful. It was great to converse on the organizational needs and what I could bring to the organization.

So what does this have to do with the topic title today? Simply this - no one with whom I spoke had any prior training or teaching education or experience. That said, I was impressed with their work and successes. It was a group that focused on the business needs, delivered what was needed all to achieve the business goals.

So my question again "What does it take - - to be a trainer?" To answer that a bit of meandering for the next few postings.

In my graduate school work I had to write a research paper. My interest was in what skills are necessary to develop or be a trainer in the business environment. My interest came from observing several individuals as classmates and colleagues that were struggling to be comfortable and competent with understanding and skill sets needed for adult learning experiences. In my research, I found references to trainer competencies, but none for skills. That fascinates me.

We offer Master Degrees in Adult Learning/Education/Organizational Development, but few offerings at the BA or BS level majors or minors for developing individuals who desire and need to know the principles of learning for adults in the work place. It is almost an unwritten job requirement for Human Resource personnel to be involved in some training for employees. Managers need some basic understanding of training and it principles and influence. Yet little is available to identify skill sets.

What does it take - Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment